Matches 51 to 100 of 1,311

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
51 1736 Aug 28. Kinne, Peter of Reading Twsp, Hunterdon, yeoman. Wife Ida. Eldest son William. Son, David. Eldest daughter Willeminsa Devore and her eldest child. Youngest dau. Elenor Biggs. Grandson Peter Kinne, surviving son of testator's son Adrian. prvd. 6 Aug 1745 Lib 5. p162. - NJ Archives Will Extracts Kinney, Peter (I3729)
52 1748 Aug 22. Kenny, David of Reading Town, Hunterson Co., yoeman, Wife Jean. Children: Peter, Adrian, and Ida. Ex. brother William, friend George Biggs. Prvd 1 Nov 1748. Inv. 19 Oct 1748, Inv. #377.14.8 1/2 Lib. 5 p.542. - NJ Archives Will Extracts Kinney, David (I2902)
53 1860 U.S. census, population schedule. NARA microfilm publication M653, 1,438 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d. Source (S505)
54 7696. Robert DRAKE (322) was born in 1580 in Halstead, County Essex, England. He died on Jan 14 1667/68.
According to the original entry upon the records of Hampton, New Hampshire, Robert Drake died there on January 14, 1668, aged 88 years; therefore, he was born in 1580. The earliest record we have for him is his baptism at Halstead, County Essex, England, on July 23, 1581, and that is probably the place of his birth. When he was still a young man (1584-1592), his family moved to Elmstead, County Essex, England. It is believed that after he became of age and left his father's house, he moved to Colchester, County Essex, England, where he learned the trade of sergemaking.
Efforts to find the name of the wife of Robert Drake have so far been inconclusive although it is a strong probability that she belonged to either the Atte or the Knopp family of Colchester. Both of these families seem to have been settled in the neighborhood (St. Giles Parish) and were evidently allied closely with the Drakes. Mary Atte of St. Giles Parish, in a will dated August 4, 1639, mentioned five members of a Drake family corresponding to Rober's and named her "unkel" Robert Knopp as executor. In the act books of the ecclesiastical court under St. Giles on May 29 and June 19, 1633, are entries associating the names of Susan Drake, Susan Knopp, and Robert Knopp. There is also the will of Robert Knopp of Colchester, a sayweaver, made on April 5, 1667, appointing his "cozen" Thomas Drake his sole executor.
Since in County Essex serges were only made in Colchester, Robert Drake must have been apprenticed there about 1598 and subsequently worked in that town. On February 25, 1611/12,Thomas Webb, of the parish of St. Giles in the Liberties of the Town of Colchester, made his will, and among many bequests he left to "Robert Dracke my kinsman 9 pounds,..." Robert Drake was also appointed sole executor of the will, which he proved in the Archdeaconry Court of Colchester on May 20, 1612. Next we find him as a parishoner of St. Giles where he signed a certificate notifying the repair of Shrubbe Lane in 1637/38.
Since no mention of the wife of Robert Drake is found in New England records, it is believed that she died before he immigrated. Their (4?) children were most likely born at Colchester and, tradition has it, that Robert Drake's sons first emigrated to New England and that he later went out to join them. The great depression which struck the old broadcloth and the "new drapery" industries of Essex in 1619 and lasted until the Restoration in 1669, was probably one of the reasons for their emigration. The exact date they arrived in New England is not known, but it must have been between 1638 and 1643. Robert's son Nathaniel married first the widow Sarah Denham at St. Faith's or St. Bennet, Paul's Wharf, London, and their marriage license was dated March 25, 1641. His son Abraham first appears in the records of Hampton, New Hampshire, April 14, 1641, so perhaps that was the year of their emigration.
Robert Drake was the first of the name in New England and, although the exact date and place where he first landed is not known, he came to Exeter, New Hampshire. As Exeter was first settled in 1638, he may have been among the first Founders of that town. He subseqently settled at Hampton, New Hampshire, where he was granted cow common rights February 23, 1645/46. On March 25, 1650, he bought his home in Hampton, a "dwelling house and house lott and 6 acres of fresh meadow" for which he paid Sam'l or Frances (?) Peabody 75 pounds 13 s. In Hampton he was assigned one of the seventy-eight shares in the Great Ox Common in 1651, was a selectman in 163 and 1664, and on October 4, 1653, he took an oath of allegiance. Robert died January 14, 1668, at Hampton. Although in his will he describes himself as a sergemaker, there is no mention of any weaving machinery or equipment in the inventory of his effects, so he probably had not engaged in that occupation for some time. In Hampton records, he has been referred to as yeoman or farmer.
Apparently Robert was a very unhappy man. In England his family was persecuted for being Quakers, his wife died young, and a great depression made it impossible for him to earn a living at his trade of sergemaking. He emigrated to America where he either could not or did not practice his preferred trade of sergemaking and his son, Francis, became a Baptist, which he abhorred.
Children: Francis (?), Nathaniel, Susanna, Abraham Compiled Sep 1980 by S.R. Williams
It has been said by historians and genealogists that our branch of the family (the emigrant Robert Drake of Hampton, New Hampshire), came from Devonshire, England; hence he has been associated with Sir Francis Drake. This conclusion was reached for several reasons: (1) No record has been found of the exact date when Robert emigrated nor the name of the ship in which he sailed. (2) It has been generally assumed, on both sides of the Atlantic, that Drake was a predominantly Devonshire name. (3) In his will, Robert lists his occupation as that of a sergemaker. As Devon was at this time one of the principal sergemaking counties in England, genealogists concentrated on Devon in their searches for the parents and ancestors of Robert Drake. (4) Robert named a son Francis Drake and Francis' son named his son Francis, further leading to the conclusion that they were related to Sir Francis Drake. This legacy has been passed down to the present day in many branches of the family.
A deposition made by Robert Drake's sons, Nathaniel and Abraham, at Hampton on April 27, 1691, concerning the parentage of Isabel Bland said:
"The deposition of Nathaniell Drake, aged about seaventie eight year, and Abram Drake, aged about seaventie year, who saith that they have known Mr. John Bland, sometime a liver upon the land, commonly called Matthew's Vineyard, formerly a liver at Colchester in England; we have also known Isabell Bland now the wife of Thomas Levitt of Hampton, in New Hampsheir; we have known them both ever since wee were children, and the said Isabell Bland, now the wife of Thomas Levitt was always accounted to be the daughter of the above said John Bland; and wee have heard the above said John Bland to own the above said Isabell to be his daughter, and have never heard nothing to the contrarie, never since wee can remember; and the above said John Bland sometimes called by som persons John Smith, but his name, and his ancestors, name was called Bland."
This clue in American records has been overlooked until 1867 when Samuel Gardner Drake (author, historian, and genealogist, as well as a descendant) called attention to it. Yet, this avenue was not explored until very recently when Colonel James Frank Drake commissioned the work by Sir Anthony Wagner, Garter King of Arms. The depositon revealed several points of utmost importance in the discovery of our ancestral line. It gave us approximate dates of birth for Nathaniel and Abraham, and takes the family back to Colchester, County Essex, England. Colchester, too, was an early center of sergemaking, and Essex was an even more prolific source of early New England settlers than Devon. Essex is away on the other side of England from Devon; therefore, if this family is related to Sir Francis, it is a very distant relatonship which cannot be proven.
Drake, Robert (I4477)
55 A Hessian soldier, he served in the American Revolutionary War. Hempe, Johann Henrich (I2951)
56 A physician in Belchertown, Massachusetts, Zephaniah Caswell married Mary Ramsdell and had two sons; Eli and Solomon, before dying at the age of 23. - unknown Caswell, Zephaniah (I1270)
57 A reslution was passed by the town boards of Vermont that when it was thought that some family might bebome a financial burden on the town for support (no job, poor health, etc.) the Sheriff was to serve papers on the family "warning them out." This resolution was passed to take the burden off the other residents of the town. As evidenced by Pharzina's birth in Vermont in 1812 (per the 1850 census record), we know they didn't leave Vermont in 1810 after being warned out.
The family's travels are unclear, they were in Washington Co., NY in 1806 (daughter Rebecca reports being born there on the 1855 NY Census). A son, Abel, served in the War of 1812 for the NY Militia in Ulster Co. The family doesn't show up again until the 1830 census in Ashford, Cattaraugus, NY where they settled probably several years earlier. 
Brewster, William Avery (I399)
58 A “Godly & Well Esteemed Deacon”
Deacon John Dunham (1589-1668)
The earliest Dunham ancestor to come to North America was John Dunham, a Separatist who fled religious persecution in England by first emigrating to Leiden, Holland, and then to Plymouth Colony.
He was born about 1589; a record exists that year of his baptism at the Church of St. Mary the Virgin in Henlow, Bedfordshire. His father was most likely Richard Dunham, who is recorded as being buried in Langford, Bedfordshire, on 19 November 1624, “an old man.” In his will, Richard left his estate to his son John “at his retourne,” for John was then living in Leiden. But John would never return to collect his inheritance.
On 17 August 1612 John had married Susana Kaino in the Church of St. Mary in Clophill, Bedfordshire. It is likely that by this time he was already a Separatist. Today we tend to think of the terms Separatist, Puritan and Pilgrim as practically synonymous. But Deacon John Dunham, while a Pilgrim, was no Puritan; the heirs of the Separatist tradition are today’s Congregationalists.
William Brewster of Scrooby, Nottinghamshire, was bailiff to the Archbishop of York 1595-1606. He was influenced by the Separatist leader Richard Clyfton, parson of All Saints Church in Babworth, Nottinghamshire, from 1586 to 1605. Separatists believed the Church of England was so corrupt that they would have nothing to do with its worship, teachings or structure. Puritans, by contrast, believed in reforming, or “purifying,” the Church of England from within. For Separatists to hold their own worship services was against the law; the 1559 Act of Uniformity required all citizens to attend Church of England services, with fines imposed for every Sunday and holy day they were absent from services. To attend an unofficial service was to risk even larger fines and possible imprisonment.
When Clyfton was removed from his post, Brewster invited him to live with him in Scrooby. There they began a small Separatist congregation, with John Robinson as the third leader. A member of the Scrooby congregation, William Bradford, who would later become governor of Plymouth Colony, recorded that the persecutions of Separatists (and Catholics, by the way) became unbearable:"But after these things they could not long continue in any peaceable condition, but were hunted & persecuted on every side, so as their former afflictions were but as flea-bitings in comparison of these which now came upon them. For some were taken & clapt up in prison, others had their houses besett & watcht night and day, & hardly escaped their hands; and ye most were faine to flie & leave their howses & habitations, and the means of their livelehood."
The Separatists decided to emigrate to the tolerant city of Leiden, where Brewster had previously served in a diplomatic post. After a number of aborted attempts to flee England, that included bribes, sting operations and imprisonment, a contingent of the Separatists finally arrived in Leiden in 1609.
John and Susanna Dunham were not a part of this original contingent, as their first child, John, was baptized at Henlow on 19 February 1614. It is likely that by the time their second child, Humility, was born in 1617 they were already living in Leiden; their third child, Thomas, was born there in 1619. In Leiden John earned his living as a weaver, and they would attend services conducted by John Robinson, first at Robinson’s house and later in the historic Pieterskerk (Church of St. Peter), which the city of Leiden gave to the Separatist community.
Although many of the Separatists thrived in Leiden, many still felt as foreigners in a foreign land, and yearned to strike out someplace on their own where they could keep their English language and customs. Susanna, however, would not see that day; she died sometime before 1622, when John married Abigail Billiou on 22 October. Their first child together, Samuel, was born about 1623.
By 1620 it was decided that the first contingent of the Separatists would leave Leiden for New England under the leadership of Brewster, with the majority staying with Robinson in Leiden until preparations could be made for their emigration. The first group left in July 1620 from Delftshaven on the Speedwell, meeting up with the Mayflower in Southampton. The Speedwell was, however, sabotaged, so only 102 of the passengers boarded the Mayflower for the Atlantic crossing. They arrived in New England on November 20, 1620.
Meanwhile, back in Leiden, John and Abigail had two more children; Abigail, born about 1626, and Persis, born about 1628. They appear to have come over with the second group of Leiden Separatists in 1629 (their daughter Humility died about this time at the age of 12). Governor Bradford writes: "In Anno 1629 a Considerable Number of the bretheren of the Church which were le[ft] in holland were Transported over to us that were of the Church in New England which although it was att About 500lb charge yett it was bourne Chearfully by the poor bretheren heer Concerned in it."
If the Dunhams were not in the 1629 group, they came shortly thereafter, for their son Jonathan was born about 1631 in Plymouth (In 1694 Jonathan will be ordained a minister in Edgarton, Martha’s Vineyard). Their eighth child, Hannah, was born in 1633. The first official record of John being in Plymouth is a reference in the 1633 will of Peter Brown that John Dunham is owed four shillings from Brown’s estate. Sometime after 1634, John is appointed a deacon of the Plymouth congregation, a post he will hold until his death. Deacon John continues to ply his trade as a weaver, but also acquires a herd of sheep and some cattle.
The ninth child of Deacon John was Joseph Dunham (b. 18 November 1636 in Plymouth, d. March 1703 in Plymouth), from whom I am directly descended. Another son, Benajah, follows about 1638 and the final child, Daniel, was born about 1640.
In 1639, John is elected by the colonists to serve as deputy of the General Court of Plymouth. He must have done a good job, for he was annually re-elected for the next 25 years.
Consider poor Deacon John and Abigail; the deacon has grown prosperous and respectable, but his sons are always getting into trouble. Married clergy with children today can no doubt sympathize with him. Apparently in those days no one warned young people about indiscretions appearing on their “permanent record,” for all the records of their misdeeds are now available to their descendants!
In 1644, Thomas is fined 10 shillings for challenging another colonist to a fight. Two years later John Jr. is accused of poisoning a neighbor’s dog (In 1665 John Jr. would be flogged for beating his wife and then drawing a sword upon himself in a dramatic gesture of remorse). In what was perhaps the first case of stalking in New England, Thomas is again in trouble in 1648; he is the subject of an early restraining order to “abstaine from coming att or sending vnto Martha Knote of Sandwidge.” Thomas and Martha were engaged, but Martha-wisely, it seems-cut off the engagement. And in 1656 Benajah was arraigned “for foolish and provoking carriages, in drawing his knife vpon sundry persons att Taunton.” Benajah, Dude, chill.
In 1660, Joseph Dunham, my eighth-great-grandfather, “complained against Hester, the wife of John Rickard, in an action of slaunder and defamation, to the damage of an hundred pounds, for saying that hee, the said Josepth Dunham, did offer her money to bee naught with her.” This Hannah would be his sister-in-law. Not always the victim, the next year Joseph was sentenced to public humiliation “for diuerse laciuiouse carriages, was sentanced by the Court to sitt in the stockes, with a paper on his hatt on which his fact was written in capitall letters, and likewise to find surties for his good behavior.”
Joseph was in his early 20s when these things happened; he had already married Mercy Morton (abt 1638-19 February 1667) on 18 November 1657 and had one son, my seventh-great-grandfather Eleazer (abt. 1659-abt 1702). Mercy was the daughter of Nathaniel Morton, secretary of the colony who had been born in Leiden in 1613. Secretary Morton, my ninth great-grandfather, had been raised in the household of his uncle Governor Bradford; he was the historian of the colony and is responsible for transmitting all of the written records of Plymouth down to us, much of them in the book New Englands Memorial, the first colonial history. His father, George, was the purported author of Mourt’s Relation, a book published in London to promote emigration to Plymouth, which was actually largely written by Bradford and Edward Winslow.
Joseph would have another son with Mercy, Nathaniel (abt 1662-aft 1734). When Mercy died, Joseph married Hester Wormall (abt 1648-aft 1715); they had six children together.
On March 1, 1668, Deacon John Dunham died. The record of his death notes that he was “an approved servant of God, and a usefull man in his place.” The Plymouth church records note his passing: “on the first day of march dyed, John Dunham, the godly & well esteemed Deacon of the chh, one of 80 yeares old.”

Deacon John Dunham was born in 1588-89 probably in Clophill, Bedfordshire, England. The following is from an article by Robert Leigh Ward in the July, 1996 edition of The American Genealogist:
No record of the baptism on John Dunham of Clophill has been found. The International Genealogical Index reveals Dunham, Donham, and Downham entries in the parish registers of nearby Bedfordshire parishes, and just across the border in Hertfordshire.
The probate record of Richard Dunham, the elder, poulter of Langford, some seven miles from Clophill, provides significant support for the conclusion that this is the correct family and that Richard Dunham was Deacon John Dunham's father. In his will, dated 5 October 1624, Richard Dunham left his body "to be buryed in such a place as my Executores shall think convenient." He mentioned son William, son William's son Richard, son John ("my best shirte and Twenty shillings in mony to be payd him at his retorne"), daughter Anne and her son Richard; daughter Elisabeth; residue to son Richard, who was to be executor. "Father Dunham, an old man" was buried at Langford on 19 November 1624, the only entry for that surname in the published parish register. The shirt and money to be paid to John Dunham "at his retorne" shows that the testator's son was away from home; the phrase probably means no more than that John would receive his legacy if he were to return, not that he was expected to do so. At the time, John was in Leyden.
Susan, daughter of Thomas "Cainehoe," was baptized in Clophill on 12 December 1586, and this appears to be the baptism of Deacon John Dunham's first wife. Thomas Caynehoe or Kaino was buried at Clophill on 15 April 1612, and an administration for the estate of Thomas "Keynoe" of Clophill was granted on 7 May 1612 to his widow Joanne; his inventory totaled 9 pounds, 10 shillings and 8 pence. Joanne is apparently the widow Joan Keno buried at Clophill on 7 February 1630. One could speculate that Deacon John's son Thomas Dunham might have been named for Susan's father Thomas Cainho.
These records establish the first marriage of Deacon John Dunham of Plymouth, identify his wife's likely parentage, and provide a strong possibility that Richard Dunham of Langford was his father.
Henlow, Bedfordshire was the home of the brothers John and Edward Tilley, and their brother-in-law Robert Cooper, who are also found at Leyden. The Tilleys came to Plymouth, Massachusetts, on the Mayflower with their wives, John's daughter Elizabeth Tilley, and Edward's nephew Henry Sampson and niece Humility Cooper. It is very tempting to speculate that John Dunham knew the Tilley family in Henlow, and that they removed together from there to Leyden. Note that the extremely unusual forename Humility was given to a daughter in both families at about the same time. Humility Cooper was born in Holland; we do not know where John Dunham's daughter Humility was born.
Possibly the reason John Dunham was not a passenger on the Mayflower in 1620 was due to the illness or death of his wife, Susan. It would make no sense for a single father to take small children on a dangerous ocean voyage to then face the hardships of the American wilderness. John's second marriage to Abigail Ballou occurred October 22, 1622 in Leyden, two years after the departure of the Mayflower. Abigail was a witness to the marriage of her sister Anne to Nathaniel Walker in Leyden in June 15, 1624.
More Pilgrims arrived in Plymouth on the Fortune in 1621, on the Anne and the Little James in 1623, and on a different Mayflower in 1629, but John Dunham was not listed among any of the passengers. In 1630, the Handmaid dropped anchor at Plymouth with 60 on board. The brethren described these arrivals as the "weakest and poorest", which may account for why none of their names were preserved. This was the last of the Pilgrim ships, although a few more brethren strayed in from time to time. At this point organized efforts to colonize Plymouth came to an end due to lack of funding. Emphasis shifted to the well financed Puritan migration farther up the coast at Massachusetts Bay.
The arrival date in Plymouth of John and Abigail Dunham and their children is unknown, but it was probably around 1629-30, possibly on the Handmaid or as independent travelers. In 1633, John was chosen a deacon of the Church of Plymouth under Elder William Brewster 
Dunham, Deacon John (I2420)
59 Abel worked as an axe maker, blacksmith and farmer. Holman, Abel (I564)
60 Abigail's grave stone was very hard to read. We gently removed some of the moss so it was readable. It reads Abigail Carver Died Nov.9,1802 in the 73rd. year of her life. A virtuous wife, a mother dear, To friends and neighbors very near, She left them all in peace and love, We trust she's gone to dwell above. - Notes by esmiley161 on Robbins, Abigail (I350)
61 Able to Bear Arms: Aug 1643, Plymouth, , Plymouth, Massachusetts - Francis Cooke of the Mayflower, p. 62, also Pope's Pioneers, p. 451)
Burial: Unknown, Old Cemetery, Middleboro, Massachusetts (Gustavus Adolphus Hinckley Collection, Barnstable, MA, Records)
Inventory: 01 Jul 1696 (Source: Ralph V. Wood, Jr., Francis Cooke of the Mayflower; p. 68)
Military service: 15 Aug 1645, Served against Narragansetts (Source: Charles Henry Pope;, Pioneers of Massachusetts, (Baltimore, Gen. Publishing Co., 1969; originally published, Boston, 1900;), p. 451.)
Offices: town officer, juryman (Source: Charles Henry Pope;, Pioneers of Massachusetts, p. 451)
Removed: 1672, Middleboro, Massachusetts (Source: Gustavus Adolphus Hinckley Collection, Barnstable, MA, Records)
Title (Facts Pg): Lieutenant (Source: Charles Henry Pope;, Pioneers of Massachusetts, p. 451)
Will: 23 Apr 1696 (Source: Ralph V. Wood, Jr., Francis Cooke of the Mayflower; The First Five Generations, p. 65)
Will Proved: 08 Jul 1696 (Source: Ralph V. Wood, Jr., Francis Cooke of the Mayflower, p. 65, also Pope's Pioneers, p. 451)

Biography of John Tomson (1616-1696) By Gaylen Bunker (excepts from "A genealogy of the descendants of John Thomson of Plymouth, Mass. Also sketches of families of Allen, Cooke and Hutchinson")
In August of 1623 a 140-ton ship, the "Anne", arrived at Plymouth, Massachusetts. On board were 60 passengers including Elizabeth Warren and seven children, Elizabeth's husband, Richard, had come on the Mayflower and she was now joining him. Of the seven children with Elizabeth, six were her own and one was her orphaned nephew, John Tomson. Young John had been born in northern England in 1616 and was six years old, the same age as the Warren's own daughter, Elizabeth.

In 1636 John's cousin, Elizabeth, married Richard Church and from that point on Richard Church and John Tomson became close companions. In 1637 Richard and John contracted with the town's agent to construct Plymouth's first frame meeting house. When the building was completed the agent would not honor the agreement and so Richard and John took him to court. As compensation for his labor the court awarded John deed to a piece of land that extended back from the market-house to the herring brook, later called Spring Hill.

In 1645, John proposed marriage to Mary Cooke, daughter of Francis (Mayflower traveler) and Hester Cooke. Mary was born in May of 1624 at Plymouth, Massachusetts, so when she and John Tomson married on March 3, 1645 she was 21 and he was 29. During that first year of their marriage Mary was to catch a glimpse of the demands on John to deal with Indian problems. In August of 1645, John went on an expedition against the Narragansetts and was away sixteen days. He was a man of imposing physical strength and stature, being six feet, three inches in height, and he became a natural leader.

Mary and John lived for several years at Sandwich on the arm of Cape Cod, and it was here that most of their children were born. Adam in 1646, who died when one and one-half years old; John in 1648; Mary in 1650; Ester in 1652; Elizabeth in 1654; Sarah in 1657; Lydia in 1659; and Jacob in 1662. As the land along the coast was becoming more populated, the value and need for more land and room became a major concern for many. Mary and John were no exception.

There was strong sentiment among the ruling fathers that the early residents of Plymouth, referred to as the ancient freemen, were to have preferential treatment in the granting of new land, not only for themselves but for their children. On Jun. 13, 1662, Francis Cooke, an ancient freeman, was granted the option to join with Josiah Winslow and others in the purchase of land near Namasseket. Francis was nearing 80 years of age and could sense that death was not long off, so he called John and Mary to his side. He turned over his rights to part of this land to his son-in-law, John Tomson, and then turned to Mary. On April 7, 1663 Francis Cooke died. It was about this time that John and Mary decided to move to the new property in the inland forests among the Indians.

With the land that Francis Cooke had given them and other land purchased from William Wetis-pa-quin, sachem of the Neponsets, thirteen miles west of Plymouth, Mary and John Tomson carved out a home in the village of Middleborough. In 1662, John, at age 46 and Mary, age 38 commenced to clear part of the land to locate a dwelling. After working awhile John became thirsty and went into a valley near by in quest of water. There he found a lively brook of pure water and came to the conclusion that the spring could not be far away. He accordingly followed the brook up about one hundred rods and came tot he fountain-head of pure, gushing water. It was decided this was a much better place for their home, so a clearing was made and a log house built.

It was here in Middleborough that the last three of their eleven children were born: Thomas in 1664, Peter in 1668, and Mercy in 1671. As the community grew John took on several community responsibilities. Records show that of the three selectmen elected in Middleborough between 1674 and 1687, John Tomson was the first chosen each and every year. John was esteemed for his moral and religious character.

John's cousin, Elizabeth Warren Church, had a son by the name of Benjamin Church. He relocated to an area west of Middleborough, close to the home of Philip, the chief of the Wampanoags. On trips between his home and Plymouth he would stop and visit with John. On one occasion in 1674 he warned that the peaceful Indians in that vicinity were becoming more hostile. On his advice John contracted with Jabez Soule of Plympton to share the training of an Indian boy named Peter Pringle. Peter would spend two weeks with the Soules at Plympton and the next two weeks with John and Mary at Middleborough. The plan was to teach the youth to learn to work and live like the English. But more subtly, whenever Peter would steal away to meet with his tribe, it was a warning that an uprising was at hand and the Tomsons should go to either the garrison at Middleborough or to Plymouth.

In January of 1675 the rumors of increased tension with the Indians continued to circulate. Sassamon, a Christianized, educated Indian who was a teacher to friendly Indians at Middleborough, was killed by three malicious Indians. Sassamon had at one time served as chief Philip's secretary and the trio feared that he was now warning the Plymouth government of a Wampanoag conspiracy to wage a general war. In the first part of June 1675 the three Indians were tried and subsequently executed for Sassamon's death, which further created unrest. The Wampanoags became enraged, particularly Philip their king.

This was the last straw and culminated 55 years of growing resentment between the English and the Indians. for years the two cultures had been in conflict over the concept of property as it applied to land. For the Indians, land could not be owned but was for all to use. Even when they sold a piece to the English, they still considered it accessible by all. to the English, land was wealth and status and once purchased, was the exclusive domain of the owner. when the great chief Massasoit, who had been such a good friend of the Pilgrims, died he was succeeded by his two sons. First, Alexander and the Philip. It was this Philip who was pushed beyond tolerance.

One day in mid-June, 1675, Mary was alone working when three young Wampanoag men came into the house. They behaved rudely, kicking over the chairs and creating havoc. One of them went to the pot and pulled a fish out that Mary had been boiling. Mary would have none of this and reprimanded the young warrior where upon he drew his knife and began brandishing it about in a threatening manner. Mary seized a splint broom and went on the attack, driving the three from the house.

The next day was Sunday. John and Mary arose at 4 o'clock in the morning, which was their custom every morning, had breakfast, and John pressed a cheese before sunrise. cheese was a special treat for the Sabbath. John was a regular attendant at the sanctuary. After he had made his clearing and moved into this log house, either he or his wife would go every sabbath to the village of Plymouth, a distance of more than thirteen miles, the only place where they had an Elder to speak to them. The members of the family, male and female, frequently walked the distance to attend meeting and return home the same day.

On this particular day, Mary and the children set out for Sabbath meeting and John remained at home in case of trouble. As the family walked on in the darkness toward Plymouth they heard the barking of a pack of wolves. It frightened them to the point that they sought refuge upon a high rock, called "Hand-rock" on the side of the road. There they remained until after sunrise, when the wolves retired and they proceeded on their Sabbath journey.

Later that day several Indians came into the house in a rowdy manner. Sensing danger, John apprehensively seated himself on a chair in the corner of the room. He laid his long gun across his lap on which he rested his hands. In one hand he clutched his brass pistol. The Indians would suddenly act friendly, come over to him, pat him on the shoulder, and try to take the long gun. John would look back at them sternly and raise the pistol slightly, at which the Indians would look at each other and stop back. They loitered about the house a while and then returned to the forest.

Mary and the children returned safely that evening from church and enjoyed the cheese. The next day, John went into the forest with Peter Pringle to work. While working, John talked about the Indians and inquired of Peter, "I wonder why they never attempted to kill me."

At this Peter replied, "Master, I have cocked my gun many a time to shoot you, but I loved you so well I could not."

They returned home as evening was approaching. Once at the house John noticed Peter slip away into the forest. On greeting Mary, John inquired if any Indians had come by during the day. Mary said their had been a number of them and they had been uncommonly friendly and helpful. They followed her into the garden and helped her pick some beans. John replied, "there is trouble ahead; we must pack up immediately and go to the garrison, [at four corners in Middleborough]." They worked though the night and the next day.

In the early evening the teams were prepared, wagons were packed with a portion of the families belongings, and the rest was buried in a pit by the swamp. As darkness descended they were tow miles along their way to the garrison when a bright light illuminated the forest behind them and they knew their home was being devoured in flames. along the road they passed the home of William Danson, and urged him to join them. He said the he could not leave until the morning and would come then.

Tuesday morning John and Mary sent their son John with two others from the garrison to inspect their deserted farm. Along the road the riders discovered a pair of leather shoes and Danson's beaver hat. they hurried with all speed to the farm and back. On their return the leather shoes and hat were gone. As they approached a brook they saw Danson's remains, who became one of the first filled in King Philip's War and the only one killed at Middleborough. The spot where he died was thereafter called Danson's Brook.

At the garrison, sixteen men were assembled as the military force and selected John Tomson as their commander. The men had a various assortment of weapons. John was equipped with his long gun, brass pistol, sword and halberd (long spear/hatchet weapon). The total length of the long gun, including the stock and barrel was seven feet four and one-half inches. The length of the barrel alone was six feet one and one-half inches. The rifle weighed twenty pounds twelve ounces and its caliber was twelve balls to the pound. It was quite a muscular feat just to hold the gun at arms length, sight and object, and fire. The sword was three feet five and one-half inches in length, with the blade only two feet eleven and three-eighths inches.

For several days the Indians would come to a point opposite the fort on the south side of the Namasket river, climb onto "Hand-rock," and taunt the settlers with insulting gestures. On the third day, as a man was looking through a spy-glass, he noticed the taunting Indians were wearing Danson's hat and waving his shoes. He reported to Thomson who turned to Isaace Howland, a heralded marksman, and ordered him to shoot the Indian. the distance from the fort to the rock was nearly a half mile, one hundred and fifty-five rods. Howland took Thomson's long-gun, rested the barrel on the bottom of one of the port hole windows. The settlers grew still and the only sound was of a few faint Indian cries. When Howland was ready he squeezed the trigger and the familiar sound of the musket, clikc-sis-boom, seemed to echo off the forest walls. Instantly after the shot, the Indian, in mid gesture, was hurled to the ground, mortally wounded.

Three points of a triangle were formed by the garrison, hand-rock, and a mill, that was at a slightly lower elevation. As the Indians gathered to inspect their fallen comrade, Ephraim Tinkham from the garrison noticed Isaac Billington away operating his mill. Francis Coombs instantly ran to the warning bell, that was the call for all to come to the garrison as fast as possible and rang out an alarm. Billington looked to the garrison and saw the men waving for him to come quickly. He dropped everything and began to sprint through the trees. the Indians suddenly heard the bell, saw the man running through the forest, and set out to intercept the scrambling worker. Billington's race provided a tense few minutes for the garrison's inhabitants, but it was later said that no person ever covered the distance so quickly. He got to the garrison scarcely in time and was pronounced safe. He had left his hat and coat on a pole, by the mill, which the Indians riddled with balls before setting the mill afire.

As the Indians returned to their wounded warrior, they lifted him high into the air to carry him off into the woods. John Tomson looked through the spy-glass and identified the limp body of his own Peter Pringle. Thomson lowered the glass and dropped into a chair in despair. The Indians then carried Pringle two miles to a vacant farm house where he died that night. Ceremonies were held wherein the body and farm house were burned to the ground the next day.

The war continued for almost two years and the governor gave John a general commission as Lieutenant commandant of the garrison, the field and all posts of danger. He was forever afterward referred to as Lieut. John Tomson. One source reports "[John Tomson] and his men were very active in forcibly contending with the Indians in 1675, and in Philip's war of 1676, braving every danger and meeting the enemy at every point where he could be found. Having associated much with the Indians in early life, he made himself acquainted partially with their language, their habits and customs, and from their manners could discern the motives of their conduct. Often did they attempt to waylay and ambush him, but his vigilance never slept, and his prudence and matured judgment effectually guarded his safety. His stern and positive manner awed them into fear, and his inflexible courage subdued them to cowardice. Whenever he came in contact with them he triumphed and they were defeated, until they believed the Great Spirit protected him that he could not be killed. Tradition gives him credit for having repeatedly saved the settlements of Halifax and Middleborough by his superior skill and well-timed precaution."

Although King Philip's War broke out in the country around Plymouth, it spread to all the colonies in New England. It was no ordinary war, but a bitter fight of extermination waged by the Wampanoag, Nipmuck, and Narraganset Indians against the settlers of Plymouth, Massachusetts Bay, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. It became clear that whoever won the war would dominate the area for years to come. As a result of the war over six hundred colonists were killed, of which three hundred were women and children. Thirteen settlements were totally wiped out and over six hundred dwellings were burned. Although the loss was staggering for the colonists it was even worse for the Indians who were nearly wiped-out.

King Philip's War ended in 1677. The hero of the war for Plymouth was Captain Benjamin Church, son of Richard Church, and cousin, protégé, confidant, and friend of John Tomson. Church and his men tracked King Philip to Mount Hope, west of Middleborough, where they encircled him and his outnumbered warriors with a superior force. As Philip tried to escape, he was shot and killed by one of Church's men, thus bringing King Philip's War to an end. The Indian force was annihilated, their property taken, and their culture shattered. The end for the southern New England Indians was total and forever.

At the end of the war, John and Mary returned to their farm, built a framed house near where their former home had stood. Their new home was 38 feet long and 30 feet wide. It was built more like a garrison than a home for it had loop holes and was lined with brick to protect against musket balls. Even at age 61, John put into the building of his home all his loving care and craftsmanship. There is no doubt that John's sons assisted in the construction. The west front room was 18 feet square, and the east 18 feet by 12 feet. Each with a fireplace capable of burning four foot logs, The front of the house was two stories and in the back one story, the lower story being seven feet high. It was built of white oak, there was not plaster, and the inside was finished in cedar. It was here that John and Mary lived out the remainder of their days with their children around them.

The following tribute was paid to John: "This father of warriors and statesmen had but few opportunities for education, and of course his literary acquirements were very limited. Nature, however, had endowed him with a strong, active and vigorous intellect, which he greatly improved by experience and observation. He seemed to have an intuitive knowledge, but what chiefly supported him in all these trials and privations, and ever sustained him when surrounded by perils, was his firm conviction of the great truths of the Christian revelation, the duties it imposed, the promises it offered and the hopes it inspired. He was pious from a deep sense of his religious obligation and the well being of society. Chastened in his feelings in obedience to the dictates of conscience, he practiced the virtues of humility, meekness and charity from an abiding confidence in the wisdom, justice, and mercy of God. Honesty, integrity and fidelity with him were common and ordinary duties, while those to his Heavenly Father were never avoided or delayed, but with becoming reverence promptly performed. We cannot reflect upon the life of such a man without esteem for his virtues and respect for his character. Greatness was incident to his goodness, and his courage the result of moral rectitude."

John passed away June 16th, 1696 at the age of 79 and Mary on March 21, 1714 at the age of 87. They were buried side by side in the first burying ground in Middleborough. There is a marker on John's grave that reads. "In memory of Lieut. John Tomson, who died June 16th, ye 1696, in ye 80 year of his age. this is a debt to nature due; which I have paid and so must you." John originally spelled his last name Tomson, but through the years the family has evolved the name to included an h and p, to where it is spelled Thompson. 
Tomson, Lt. John (I3993)
62 Abraham Gale became a freeman on 11 October 1682 at Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts. He served in 1706 and 1718 at Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, as a Selectman. He occupied the old homestead, situated in what is now Waltham, Mass. Abraham's gravestone inscription at Waltham Graveyard, Waltham, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, reads: Here Lyes Body of Abraham Geal who died Septemb 5 1718 (in ye) 76 year of His Age. His name in his will and on his gravestone is spelled "Gael." They were the parents of sixteen children, of whom nine lived to maturity and married. Gael, Abraham (I189)
63 Abraham Wheeler was between 16 and 17 years of age at the time of his father's death and the destruction of Lancaster. He accompanied his mother to Concord when the town was abandoned and afterward to Dedham. Later he returned to Lancaster where he remained untilthis death. He was a member of the "Western Regiment of Middlesex County" his name appearing on the rolls as late as March 18 1691-2.
History says that Abraham was shot by an Indian one Sabbath morning in November 1695 while going between the fort and his house. Although mortallywounded he succeeded in wrestling the gun from the Indian and ran with it towardthe fort until he was met by a party who went out to his relief. At the same time his wife Tabitha Wheeler was taken prisoner by the Indians. -
Killed by the Indians at Lancaster, Massachusetts. His inventory was dated, 6 November 1695. The History of Lancaster says: 'On a Lord's day morning Mr. Abraham Wheeler, going from the garrison to his own house, on some occasion, was then shot by an enemy that had lain in ambush for him. Though mortally wounded Wheeler wrested the gun from the Indian, and carried it toward the garrison till he was met by his friends.' His home is supposed to have been on the South West slope of Watoquadock, now in Bolton. - 'History of the Wheeler Family in America', 1914, Albert Gallatin Wheeler, Jr., p 498. 
Wheeler, Abraham (I1643)
64 According to the report "The Michael Family" written by James Parker and Mildred Michael Crewe, Andrew emigrated in 1757, bought part of Tasker's Chance, was a blacksmith, had 10 children; most south of Frederick (Re. Library of Congress)
NOTE: Andrew's will made 1796, probated March 3, 1800 (Liber GM p.366) Frederick County Courthouse
Andrew and Barbara owned 2 dolts (parcels) of land (part of Tasker's Chance) in Fredericktown. They held this for five years and then sold the parcel. On November 23, 1767, they had surveyed a tract of 340 acres under the name of "Cooley (Cooling) Springs", so called for the spring on the property. Andrew received a patent for the land on July 12, 1768. Some of this land remained in the Michael name until May 5, 1974, when it was sold after the death of its last occupant, Elmer Ezra Michael, after 206 consecutive years in the Michael family. "Cooling Springs" was part of an original land grant from King George of England to Lord Baltimore and his agent in America, Charles Carroll of Carrollton (a signer of the Declaration of Independence). 
Michael, Andreas (I3438)
65 After coming here he was occasionally referred to in the Dutch records as van Boskerck. As he came from Holstein, where the Lutheran was the State Church, and the German language was prevalent, we would have expected this designation to have been given a German form, as von Buschkirk, but as a matter of fact, even in the German Evangelical Church records, it always appears as in the Dutch, van Bosckerk, later van Buskirk, pronounced Booskirk. The Philadelphia branch of the family adopted the last-mentioned form nearly two hundred years ago, and ever since have been known as Van Booskirk...The etymology of the Dutch name indicates a reference to a Wood or Woods-Church, Bosch-Kerk, or Church-in-the-Wood or Church-in- the-Bush, rather than in the forest. Bosch-Kapelle, or Woods-Chapel is the name of a village of 1,000 inhabitants in Zeeland, Holland. No account has been found of any town or village in Holland called Bosch-Kerk. In the German Church records no attempt has been made to translate the name into the German, Bursh-Kirche, or Wald-Kirche, but it has been transferred bodily from the Dutch, as above, indicating that it was already regarded as a proper name. [Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society, Vol. III, p. 160] -
Laurens Andriessen came from Holstein, Denmark in 1655. His name first appears in records of New Amsterdam, June 19, 1656 in a deed for a lot of land on Broad Street. He was then unmarried and a turner by trade, afterwards, however, becoming a draper. He took the oath of allegiance November 20, 1665 and married September 12, 1658 Jannetje Jans (widow of Christian Barentsen Van Horn)
In July 1658 Laurens was sent by the Orphans Master at New Amsterdam to South River (Delaware) to assist the widow of Christian Barentsen Van Horn, a carpenter, who died as the result of a malady that took many lives in that area. Four and a half months later Laurens and Jannetje married on December 12, 1658 according to the marriage registry of the Dutch Reformed Church in New Amsterdam. Some say the same date but list Old Dutch Church, Staten Island, NY.
Arrived in New Netherland before 1654, via Holland. Bought a lot on Broad St. 29 Jun 1656. Was a dry goods merchant. Moved to Hackensack by 1688. 1662, bought land on the shore of the Hudson. Became a judge and Justice of the Peace. Helped set up a Lutheran Church when the English established religious freedom. He was called van Buskirk because he lived next to a church by the woods. He was sometimes called Laurens de Dreyer (turner) because he was also apparently a turner by trade. (Source: Immigration Library, Scandinavian Immigrants of New York.)

Laurens Andriessen Van Buskirk was born in 1630 at Holstein, Denmark; now Germany. He married Jannetje Jans on 12 Dec 1659 at Dutch Reformed Church, New Amsterdam, New York County, New York. Laurens Andriessen Van Buskirk died on 13-Jul-1694 at Hackensack, Bergen County, New Jersey. He was buried after 13 Jul-1694 at Constable Hook, Bergen County, New Jersey. - Title: Shoemaker, Irene English; Van Buskirk, A Legacy from New Amsterdam.

In 1658, he married Jannetje Jans, the widow of Christian Barentsen Van Horn at the Dutch Church on Staten Island. Laurens acquired a sizable fortune through this union, as well as, four healthy stepsons.
Shortly after the establishment of Bergen (Jersey City), he purchased 170 acres in the nearby settlement of Minkakwa, again from Claus Carstensen. Minkakwa was located in the Greenville section of present day Jersey City, an area along the west bank of the Hudson, which is presently the Conrail railyard. This land was purchased in 1662, and it is probable that he moved there almost immediately, for in that same year, he was one of the petitioners for a clergyman to be installed at the Bergen settlement. In this petition, each petitioner pledged a yearly sum that they were willing to pay to the clergyman to constitute his salary. Louerens Andries, as his name is signed on the document, was not able to commit to a specific amount, declaring that he would donate an amount at his own discretion. This indicates that he was not as well off at this time as some of the other signers. He was willing to donate to the yearly salary for a clergyman, but he was not wealthy enough to commit to a number. Depending on how successful he was in a given year, would determine how much he could afford to spare.
Laurens also purchased lands on Bergen Neck. This included a large tract of Constable Hook, a portion of present day Bayonne. His son, Peter, built a house here in the late 1600’s, which stood, with alterations, until 1910, when it was torn down to make room for an oil company which had purchased the land.
In 1664, Laurens was appointed to a committee which petitioned Peter Stuyvesant and his Council for the authorization to construct blockhouses at each of the entrances to the settlement of Bergen. This was, no doubt, prompted by the Indian uprising which had recently occurred at Wildwick (Kingston), New York and Niew Dorp (Hurley), New York, coupled with a double murder closer to home. On the 18th of October, in the previous year, two “Christians” had been killed by Indians, while on their way from the village of Gamonepa (Jersey City - near the Morris Canal Basin) to Bergen. Though this turned out to be an independent and isolated incident, the colonists had no way of knowing this at the time. The Director General and his Council gave their consent to the petition, and the blockhouses were built under the direction of the committee.
In the latter part of 1664, the British took over the New Netherlands colony with the arrival of Colonel Nicolls and a fleet of four warships. The Dutch surrendered without a fight. Laurens, as did the rest, took the oath of allegiance to the British Crown and continued business as usual. In 1670, he was by act, appointed as “Recorder and Marker” for Minkakwa, empowered to assure all horses and cattle were properly marked. Six years later, he was made “Marker General” and “Ranger” for the town of Bergen, empowered to deputize at his discretion, individuals to roam the local woodlands to round up stray domestic animals.
In 1671, he was appointed by Governor Carteret, to his Council, the upper house of the proprietary government. This commission usually went to men of means and to those who showed marked loyalty to the royal government.
On February 16, 1677, Laurens was commissioned a member of the Bergen Court. Three years later he was made President of the Court. He also served as Bergen’s first Coroner, as Justice of the Peace, and Judge to the Court of Common Right at various times during his life.
In 1676, he purchased, with others, a large tract of land located between Overpeck Creek and the Hackensack River, known then as New Hackensack. To this land he moved as early as 1688. Here, he lived till the end of his life, in 1694. He and his wife were buried on the land he had purchased on Constables Hook, in the family cemetery. - unknown author

There is some controversy over the actual nature of Laurens' trade. The first mention of him in the records of New Amsterdam refers to him as Laurens de Draijer which, Nelson says, is Dutch for: the turner. As Nelson puts it:
The Dutch word for "turner" is draijer -- drawer, probably referring to the early use of the draw-knife in shaping vessels, shoes and other articles from wood...In many translations from the Dutch records, this designation of his occupation has been simply transferred to the English without interpretation, and as the name is thus entered also in the indices, the searcher for references to Laurens van Boskerck may easily overlook such allusion. [Proceedings, Vol. III, p. 161]
Laurens brought with him to America a Dutch assistant named Frederick Arenta Bloem, whom he hired in Amsterdam in 1654 and who, in order to get married, broke his contract with Laurens while it still had a year to run. As Laurens complained in court, while trying to force Bloem to work out the rest of the contract, he just "ran away from him last Sunday morning without words or reason." Nelson surmises from all of this the following:
Laurens Andriessen, having acquired in Holstein the art and mastery of the trade of turner, went up to Amsterdam, there to follow his vocation in turning wooden bowls and dishes and eke shoes for the thrifty Dutch Huysvrouwen of that fair city, finally setting up for himself and having an assistant, in the person of the inconstant Frederick Arentsen. With dreams of increasing his business and so bettering their fortunes, he turned himself westward from Old Amsterdam to Nieuw Amsterdam, where he speedily acquired such fame for the excellence of his work that he was commonly known by way of preeminence as de Draijer -- the Turner, of the little town. [Proceedings, Vol. III, pp. 163-4]
Nelson also takes aim at what he says is a misconception, based on a supposed error in reading early records, namely, that Laurens changed his occupation to draper, i.e., a dealer in cloth and dry goods. As Nelson points out, "in a thinly settled neighborhood where every family spun its own wool and wore its own cloth!," that would have made no sense at all. [Proceedings, Vol. III, p. 164]
Nevertheless, Mrs. Shoemaker cites a study of the earliest Danes in America, done some years ago for the Danish government by a Professor P. S. Vig, in which the claim is made that Laurens "established himself in the dry goods business in New Amsterdam and also bought some land etc." She bolsters Professor Vig's claim by referring to several records that mentioned Laurens as "de Draper."
Mrs. Shoemaker also says that a native Holland teacher of Dutch, French, and German claims there is not any such word as Draijer. Instead, according to this unnamed authority, a maker of wooden articles is called a "houtwerker" in Dutch. (Van Buskirk Legacy, p. 1) It probably remains for an expert, unbiased linguist to settle this issue.
New Amsterdam records make no mention of our ancestor from November 1656 to December 1658, when he wedded Jannetje (Janica) Jans, the widow of Christian Barents Van Horn. There was some speculation that Laurens had been with or near the Van Horns during their ill-fated attempt to settle on the Delaware River. Also, coincidental or not, Jannetje petitioned the Orphan Masters to settle her deceased husband's estate on December 12, 1658, the same day as her marriage to our Laurens, which took place at the Reformed Dutch Church of New Amsterdam. (Was this a dowry?)
The Vice Director of the Colony, Jacob Alrichs, sent notice of Christian's death to the Orphan Masters at New Amsterdam, along with an inventory of the estate and a request that Christian's widow be assisted. As Nelson described it, in rather droll fashion: The requisite "assistance," it will be observed, was promptly furnished by our friend Laurens Andriessen, who married the fair and not inconsolable young widow four and a half months after her sad bereavement. [Proceedings, Vol. III, p. 167]
By 1662, Laurens and his family moved across the Hudson River to what would later become Bergen County, New Jersey. They lived in a house on the shore of New York Bay. Laurens was very active in civic affairs, serving as a Juror, a Judge of the Court of Common Right, a Justice of the Peace, the county Coroner, and a member of the governor's Council, which was the upper branch of the Provincial Legislature. - 
Van Boskerck, Laurens Andriessen (I464)
66 Alfred worked as a cartman and general farm worker, Barnard, Alfred (I498)
67 Although there is no known record of immigration, it is believed by Savage and Virkus that the family came to America in 1635. The first record of William Towne in America appears in the town book of Salem some time between 1635 and 1640 (undated) when he received a land grant "a littleneck of Land right over against his house on the other side of the River" in the area called North Fields. In 1651, he purchased land in the neighboring town of Topsfield from William Paine, which consisted of forty acres, part plow land, meadow, and unplowed land. He sold his Salem property to Henry Bullock in 1652 and bought additional land at Topsfield in 1656. He was made a commoner in Topsfield in 1664. When his son Joseph married Phebe Perkins, he deeded 2/3 of his property to Joseph. -
Estate of William Towne of Topsfield. Essex Probate Docket # 27923 Administration granted April 24, 1673 to Johana Towne on the estate of Wm Towne, her late husband, and she was to bring in an inventory to the next Ipswich court.
Petition for settlement of a small estate left the undersigned by their father, who died ten years ago leaving no will, but left his estate in the hands of their mother who was appointed admininistratrix and the estate remained unsettled until her death, and now they desire that the following division may be allowed: the land to be divided equally to his three sons, Edmund, Jacob, and Joseph and the moveables equally to the three daughters, Rebecka, Mary and Sarah; also the three brothers to pay all debts now due and what charges shall after arise in settlement of the estate to be equally borne by all six. Dated Jan 17, 1682. Signed by Mary (her mark) Towne relict of Edmond, Jacob Towne, Joseph (his mark) Towne, Francis (his mark) Nurs with the consent of Rebeka, Mary (her mark) Esty, formerly Mary Towne, Sarah (her mark) Bridges. Witness: John How John Pritchet Allowed by the court at Ipswich April 10, 1683. Source: Ipswich Deeds, vol 4, page 515
William Towne was cited by the Archbishop of Norwich County, England, for failing to appear for communion and was noted as a "Separatist" [not a member of the Church of England]. His family was Puritan. William Towne came to America on the "Rose" from Great Yarmouth. They left Ipswich and arrived in June 1637. William came to Massachusetts with his wife and children. He was a basketmaker and a gardener.
On March 20, 1647, William Towne and son-in-law Francis Nurse asked for a grant of land. By 1651, William Towne bought land in Topsfield, from William Paine of Ipswich, and William Howard. This property bordered Topsfield and Salem and was known as "Salem Farms" and "Salem Village." The Towne children were all brought up in a house which was located at the intersection of South Main Street and Salem Street. This house was built in 1651.
In 1681, Jacob Towne testified, at age 50, that the house of William Towne, was bought some 30 years previous and William paid for it with wheat. Remember barter was the way most people obtained property at this time. When his father moved to Topsfield, he was said to have sold the twenty acre lot to Nathaniel Felton.
In 1682 Jacob Towne acted as an witness to end the bitter dispute between Salem and Topsfield over the boundary line. This event is considered to have birthed repercussions that resulted in the witchcraft accusations in 1692.
William died June 24, 1673. His estate was NOT immediately proved since he left no will. William was a basketmaker and gardener. Joanna administered his estate, which was not divided between his heirs until her own death in 1682 in Topsfield. Joanna was buried at Pine Hill Cemetary in Topsfield, Essex County, MA. - unknown
``Goodman William Towne was a man of character, substance and social position, but about a quarter of a century after his death three of his daughters were brought under the condemnation of a fanatical court on the charge of witchcraft, and two of them suffered death on the gallows while the third barely escaped a like fate at the hands of an unthinking and illadvised judicial body. The name of Rebecca Nourse, who suffered the death of a martyr, will endure with time through centuries yet to come, and they who are her defendants, and descendants of her martyr sisters, will look back with pleasure to the fact that she and they are their ancestors, for they were good, innocent and unoffending women, the victims of fanaticism as unjust in its accusations as it was cruel and barbarous in meting out its punishments. This unfortunate episode in the history of the Towne family brought no disgrace upon the name, and there lives not one descendant of either Rebecca Towne Nourse or her sister Mary Towne Esty who cannot feel a just pride in the noble characters of those martyr mothers.´´ - William Richard Cutter 
Towne, William (I1462)
68 Among the notables laid to rest in the burial plots is Alexander Kelly who was born in Schenectady in 1751 and served in the capacity of elder in the Presbyterian church from 1775 to 1844, a period of 69 years. It is he who is credited with journeying to Philadelphia in 1789 on horseback to attend the first general Presbyterian assembly. The saddle that he used on the trip is now on exhibit in a Philadelphia museum. -, online newspaper article, Schenectady Gazette, “Excavators Find Bones Near Old Church In City: Presbyterian Burying Ground Thought to Have Extended Further Long Ago”, January 17, 1925, Pg. 11
Alexander Kelly lived in Schenectady and was a merchant on State Street. He served as an Elder of the First Presbyterian church from 1775 to 1844 and in 1789 rode on horseback to Philadelphia to attend the First General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in America. - Imprints on the sands of time left by certain Kelly's, Lampman's, Craig's, Ferguson's
"During those years the building was used more or less by the Presbyterians, who had none of their own. (394-1) I have before me a curious statement on this point, said to have been found among the papers of a Mr. Alexander Kelly, a member of that body. He says: 'Betwext 1760 and 1770, the Episcopalians and presbyterians agreed & build a Church Betwext them, The Former to goe in at the west Door the Later at the South Door when the Church was Finesht John Brown Belonig to the English Church went to New York & get it Consecrated under the Bishop unknown to the presbyterians, The presbyterians highly ofended at this John Duncan James Wilson James Shuter Andrew & Hugh Michel Andrew McFarland & Wm. White & Alexander Merser purchest a lot From a Gentelm in New York Colected money in varies places To Build a Church. The Dutch Inhabitants Seing How they were Served advanct very Liberal in money Boards plank Nails Hinges & paint The Church was built about the year 1770.'
"Mr. Kelly's representation of the case must be as faulty as his orthography. To prove this, it is enough to state two facts - one, that there was no bishop in this country till 1784, thirty years, after this alleged transaction; and the other, that the church was never 'consecrated' till nearly one hundred years later, by Bishop Potter, in 1859. The long and short of the whole story is, that the Presbyterian party was disappointed in not getting permanent possession of the building, to which they had no claim except that they had kindly contributed to its erection.
"As connected with this part of the ecclesiastical history of Schenectady, I take the liberty of quoting from a note on the subject, received from my esteemed friend, the Rev. Dr. Darling: 'One of the oldest members of my church (Presbyterian), when I came here, informed me that the south door was walled up after the Presbyterian exodus, 'and the Lord put a curse on the mortar, so that it would not stick;' though, as she had no prophetic credentials, you may prefer to account for it in some other way.'
"It was to matters of this kind, I suppose, that Dr. Darling's predecessor, the venerable Dr. Backus, referred in his historical sermon, preached in 1869, when he said: 'Ritualism and evangelicism long contended here for the mastery.' One of the champions in that contest was this same Mr. Kelly - Sandy Kelly, generally called - who, when a pitch-pipe was introduced into the Presbyterian worship, rushed down the aisle and out of the door, crying, 'Awa' with your box o' whistles!' What would he have said and done, had his evangelic ears been shocked by the noble organ which now vies with that of St. George's in improving the ritual of God's house? - A History of the Schenectady Patent in the Dutch and English Times; being contributions toward a history of the lower Mohawk Valley by Jonathan Pearson, A. M. and others, edited by J. W. MacMurray, 1883, p.394 
Kelly, Alexander (I1007)
69 Andrew Foord was an early settler of Weymouth, Mass., where he was made freeman in 1654; he was also made freeman in Duxbury, Mass., that same year. He m. about 1649, Eleanor Lovell (dau. of Robert and Elizabeth Lovell), b. 1634; d. March 4, 1692, Hingham, Mass. Robert Lovell and his wife sailed from England, March 20, 1635-6, their dau. being called Ellyn on the, passenger list; she m. Andrew Foord under the name of Elleans, her name being given as Eleanor on the records of deeds in Plymouth, Mass. In 1651 the will of Robert Lovell was probated; in it he mentions his son-in-law Andrew Foord, and Andrew’s eldest son and youngest child, thus indicating that Andrew had at least two children at that time, and possibly three. Of the thirteen children of Andrew Foord, the births of three are not recorded on the Weymouth Vital Statistics, namely, Andrew, Mary and James, and it is possible to suppose that they were born previous to or near the year 1651. From the Town Records of Weymouth, we learn that Andrew Foord was one of the original purchasers of the Town and held large tracts of land, comprising 7 acres in the East Field, Lot No. 65 in the 2nd Division containing 18 acres, a large lot of land in the Great Cedar Swamp, a lot in the little Cedar Swamp, and 5 or 6 acres of common land. In the Plymouth Colony and Plymouth County Deed Books are found records of other large tracts of land belonging to Andrew Foord. Oct. 28, 1668, he with Lieft. John Hoibrook and James Lovell purchased of Constant Southworth and Cornett Robert Stetson,* both of Duxbury, consideration £3, a piece of land running two miles in length and three-quarters of a mile in breadth, being in the Plymouth Patent, near the line between the two jurisdictions of Massachusetts and Plymouth, and containing about 1,000 acres. Part of this land was sold by the owners in one-eighth part lots, each containing 125 acres, or given by Andrew Foord to some of his sons. A portion of it embraced the tract that was called in the Plymouth Colony records “Ffords farm,” and was afterwards incorporated into the town of Abington. Andrew Foord was also associated in other real estate transactions, and was a prominent man in the community. He removed late in life to Hingham, Mass., where he d. March ,1693. His will was dated Feb. 5, 1692-3, and was probated in March of the same year in Boston, Mass. The inventory of his estate was dated March 23, 1692-3, and mentions the tracts of lands he owned in Plymouth, also a right of land in Quinne Poge. Children: 13 (Foord), 8 sons and 5 daughters: -The New York Genealogical And Biographical Record. Devoted To The Interests Of American Genealogy And Biography. Issued Quarterly. Volume LIII, 1922
Andrew’ Ford, earliest mentioned in the will of Robert Lovell of Weymouth, 3 Apr. 1652; died at Hingham, 4 Mar. 1692-93. He married, before 1650, Eleanor Lovell, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Lovell of Weymouth, born in England near 1629; she died before 25 Feb. 1692-93. He was made a freeman of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, 3 May, 1654. He received seven acres “in the east field,” first granted to Mussacheill Barnard, and six acres in the First Division and eighteen acres in the Second Division, 14 Dec. 1663. (Weymouth Land Grants, 272, 282, 284.) Ellen Ford, the wife of Andrew Ford of Weymouth, deposed “aged about 38 yeeres,” 24 May, 1667. (Suffolk Court Files No. 815: paper 35.) Therefore she was born near 1629. “Andrew Ford, Sen’, late of the Town of Weymouth, now resident in Hingham, in the Province of the Massachusetts Bay in New England, being under infirmities of age,” made his will as follows: Unto his son Israel Ford his dwelling house and about twenty acres thereunto belonging. To his son Jacob Ford eighteen acres in the Upper or Second Division in Weymouth. To his son Israel Ford his share in the late Colony of Plymouth. Unto his son Nathaniel Ford fifteen acres upon which his dwelling house and barn now standeth, also 200 acres at a place called “Quinne Poge.” Unto his son Andrew Ford 12d. with what he fonnerly received from me. To his son James Ford 200 acres at a place called Quinne Poge, near New Roxbury (Woodstock, Conn.) To the heirs of my son Joseph Ford, deceased, one shilling beside what said Joseph received in his lifetime. My son Ebenezer Ford 12d., with like condition. To son Samuel Ford 200 acres at Quinne Poge. To his daughter Mary Whitman 100 acres at Quinne Poge. To daughter Silence 100 acres at Ouinne Poge. To his daughter Prudence Lincoln, wife of Joseph Lincoln, one-half share of land, 50 acres in the late Colony of Plymouth, and 100 acres at Quinne Poge. To his daughter Elizabeth 100 acres at Quinne Poge. To his daughter Sarah 100 acres at Quinne Poge and to his five daughters abovemeneoned £25, his son Nathaniel . to pay one-third. Son Nathaniel and Israel to be joint executors, 25 Feb. 1692-93; proved 24 Mar. 1692-93. (Suffolk Probate Records, 13: 146-147.) Inventory £419 65. 
Ford, Andrew (I3933)
70 Andrew lived in Weymouth until he was almost thirty. Suffolk County deeds show that he bought property there 16 Feb. 1673/4 and 10 Feb. 1676/7 from Richard Phillips and his wife Mary (vol. 9, p. 12-13; vol. 10, p. 150-151). There is no military service in Massachusetts for him, but Andrew “Foard” is mentioned in an account of sundry payments made in 1673-1674, for the building of “the Castle,” a fortification on Castle Island in Boston Harbor (Secretary of State, Boston and Mrs. Colin Campbell, Historical Society of Old Abington).
Andrew took the oath of allegiance to Charles II with his father and brothers in Weymouth in 1678. Two other Suffolk County records concern him: the will of his father and the estate records of his first cousin, Jamess Lovell. Andrew1 Ford, 25 Feb. 1692/3, bequeathed his son 12 pence, which he judged sufficient with what he had already given him. The inventory of Jamess Lovell’s estate, 1717/18, mentioned land held in partnership with his “brother” Andrew Ford (Suffolk County Probate Record, vol. 20, p. 455, given in History of Weymouth, vol. 3, p. 394). Jamesa was the son of James, brother of Ellinor, Andrew’s mother; therefore, Andrew’s first cousin; “brother” may indicate a close friendship or some connection unknown to this historian.
About 1679 Andrew moved into the eastern half of the Souther Grant, purchased by Lovell and Ford in 1664 from the Plymouth Colony. Benjamin Hobart, the Abington historian, said he might have moved thete earlier and withdrawn because of Indian trouble. “Andrew Ford’s house” was mentioned, 13 March 1671/2, in a description of the Partridge grant, sold by Partridge to Thomas Andrews of Hingham (Plymoum Colony deed, vol. 3, p. 188). The deed stated: “The said land lyem near a mile to me south a little westerly from Andrew ffoards house.” “Andrew ffoards house” may have been a crude hut or cabin used while clearing the property; and may have been the house destroyed by the Indians, the incident to which Hobart referred. Andrew Ford probably built a more permanent dwelling south of the first after the title to the Souther grant had been cleared up, 1679/80. He was the pioneer settler there. Hobart located an early Ford house, by a pile of rocks, west of Deacon Cleverly’s, at the present fork of Washington and Adams Streets in North Abington. The site was marked, about 1930, by some of Andrew’s descendants and a bronze plaque affixed to a boulder, which reads: “Near this spot about the year 1679 Andrew Ford, second of the name in America, built the first house in the territory afterward incorporated as the town of Abington.” This house is mentioned in Plymoum Colony Judicial Acts, vol. 7, p. 310 (·98) in a report written, 2 July 1690, on me road from Middlebury, Bridgewater, etc. towards Boston, “ .... to ye road that goeth to Waymouth, and from thence as ye way now lyeth on ye westerly side of Andrew Foords house, & so to ye patent line .... “ The land on which Andrew lived was called Ford’s Farm or Farms, as already stated.
On 10 June 1712 Ford’s Farms and lands adjoining, together with the N. E. comer of the town of Bridgewater, were incorporated to form the town of Abington (Massachusetts Archives, Court Orders, vol. 9, p. 205).
On 5 March 1715/16 Andrew Ford was elected Selectman and Tax Assessor for the town. He was a founder of the Congregational Church, 1712, and on the list of members, 1724. On 3 Aug. 1715 he was elected to serve on a committee to make up accounts regarding the meeting house. In 1716 Andrew Ford, Sr., was paid 10 shillings for keeping school in his neighborhood. On 3 March 1718 he was reimbursed 15s. for Edward Derby’S taxes which he had paid (Abington Town Records, passim.).
Andrew Ford owned other land in Plymouth Colony besides his share in the Souther grant. He received fractions of the 2 x 3/4 mile grant from his father, from Elizabeth and Remember Briggs and from his brother Samuel, as was shown in the deeds quoted under Andrew Ford (Sr), and was one of the owners when the grant was divided in 1695. He and James Lovell acquired the Bradford grant in 1694 and in 1705 bought out the Indian claims to that property and the 2 x 3/4 mile tract. From Jacob Nash, in 1710, Andrew received an undivided half right in 60 acres; and, in 1712/13, transferred it to Rev. Samuel Browne. Andrew received land from James Lovell, 1722/3, and made grants to his son Hezekiah, to his son-in-law Richard Whitmarsh, and to his son Andrew (Plymouth County deeds, passim.). Andrew was named the heir of his brother Ebenezer and grantor of 16 acres of land in Woodbridge in 1702. - Descendants of Andrew Ford of Weymouth, Massachusetts 
Ford, Andrew (I3932)
71 Andrew received property from his father, 1720 (Plymouth County deeds, vol. 16, p. 9), and land, housing, farm equipment by his father’s will, proved in 1725. He was appointed executor by his brother Hezekiah’s will, 27 Nov. 1721, and was named guardian of Hezekiah’s minor children, Hezekiah and Ruth, in 1723. He built two houses in Abington (Historical Society of Old Abington). The first one, at the present site of lOll Washington Street, was probably built after his purchase of the Woodward grant, 1706/7. His son Jacob lived and died in this house. About 1800 Jacob’s son Benjamin sold it to Capt. Richard Vining, who built another house there in 1815. Andrew’s second house, located at 770 Washington Street, was “new” about 1735. A house stands there today; the back part of dark stained shingle, with central chimney, is the original; it faces south. It was sold in 1760 by Andrew Ford IV to Joshua Howe (Plymouth County deeds, vol. 48, p. 194). A sign attached to the front of the house erroneously states that it was erected before 1700.
Andrew was called “Ensign” in the Abington records, 23 April 1728. He and his wife Mercy were on the first list of First Church members, 1724. He was on the committee to get the meeting house finished, 24 Dec. 1728, and on the committee, 1 March 1731, which made up the accounts regarding the finishing of the meeting house. Ten years later he was moderator of a meeting which was primarily concerned with the question of repairing the old meeting house or building a new one.
He was also active in civic affairs. He was elected Highway Surveyor three times, 4 March 1723, 1 March 1725, I March 1731. Twice he served on a committee to provide a schoolmaster for the town, 26 Nov. 1729, the first in Abington, and again 30 Dec. 1730. On 23 April 1728 he was trustee for a £60,000 loan to the town. On 8 Jan. 1730 he served on a committee to meet with Hingham, Hull, Scituate, Hanover, Weymouth and Braintree committees in an attempt to have this district create a new county. On 5 Dec. 1734 he was moderator of a town meeting to provide for the care of an indigent; and on 31 May 1736 moderator of a meeting concerned with the continuation of the same case. On 22 May 1738 he was moderator of a meeting on a petition to have the old “Colony Line” re-surveyed correctly; and on 31 March 1741 moderator of a regular Town Meeting. Andrew bought land in 1706/7 from Joseph and Isaac Poole (Plymouth County deeds, vol. 7, p. 208). This deed mentioned land of “ye sd John fford,” probably a clerical error as “Andrew” is the only previously-mentioned Ford. In 1724 Andrew bought land from William Reed; he sold property in 1740 to James Nash, in 1742 to Abraham Josselyn, in 1744 to Joseph Stoddard, in 1749 to Woodbridge Brown (Plymouth County deeds, passim.).
His will was written 12 June 1749 and proved 4 June 1750. He bequeathed to “beloved wife Allice” the privilege of living in the best room of either of his houses, also food supplies and firewood. His son Jacob received the northerly half of his farm, except for the sawmill. His son Andrew received the southern half of the farm and the sawmill. His daughter Hester Porter received thirty acres of land and her children, money. The children of his daughter Mercy Richards and of his daughter Mary Reed, also received money. Witnesses were: Samuel Brown, Ebenezer Bate, Jr., Mercy Brown. His sons Jacob and Andrew were named executors when the will was proved in 1750 (plymouth County Probate, vol. 12, p. 146, 147). - Descendants of Andrew Ford of Weymouth, Massachusetts 
Ford, Andrew (I3928)
72 Andrew was admitted to the Abington Church in 1741. He was elected to several town offices: Fence Viewer 11 Mar 1745, Leather Sealer 10 Mar 1746, Field Driver 6 Mar 1749. He was paid by the town Treasurer for killing various pests in 1741,1742,1754 and 1765. He had no colonial or Revolutionary service in Massachusetts according to the records, but four of his sons served in the Revolution. Andrew was a yeoman and cordwainer; he may have established the tannery which located on the Ford side of the Southern grant. He inherited his father’s sawmill and received property from his father and grandfather,Andrew Ford. He bought land in Abington from Ebenezer Hunt in 1754 and sold land there to his relatives and neighbors. 1751-1777. It is not certain exactly where he lived in Abington. Two facts were known; first he never lived in his father’s house at 770 Washington Street, which he sold to Joshua Howe in 1760; his house was burned in 1757. Cyrus Nash reports on the latter. “ A child of Andrew Ford’s great great great grandchild of Andrew Ford, the first settler in this place from Weymouth. This child (?) burnt in a house of Mr. Andrew Ford’s which took fire by the children. After found that the house was on fire (Mr. Ford and his wife was absent at the time) the children run out of the house and left a child asleep in the cradle.” Evidently because “he had his house burnt in Nov. last” Andrew was allowed by the vote of the town, 30 May 1758 to draw his rates (taxes) out of the treasury and was paid 2.14, 7.1 by the town treasure, 13 Sept 1758. This house may have been the one at 50 Adams Street, originally owned by Hezekiah Ford;it was remembered only by the site of the cellar hole when Cyrus Nash was writing in the early 1800s. Andrew was placed in the West Abington settlement by Eldridge Payn in his 1896 map. Andrew and Sarah sold 59 acres with buildings in this area to Micha and John Hunt in 1777, Sept 1, when he was called yeoman of Plantation no. 5. He lived in the area organized as the district of Plainfield in 1785. He bought and sold land, according to the Hampshire County Deeds. Andrew and Sarah together with their children Andrew Jr. and his wife, Sarah, Elijah and Solomon Ford and Martha Robinson were original members of the First Church of Plainfield, 31 Aug 1786. Andrew may have built Ford’s Mill mentioned in Hampshire County Deeds, Books 2 page 152, 1788, when some of his sons deeded a share in it to Jeremiah Robinson. - The Descendants of Andrew Ford of Weymouth, Massachusetts Ford, Andrew (I3906)
73 Benjamin Brewster married "Ann Darte the last Daye of febeare : 1659-1660 " (Brewster Book and Norwich, Conn., T. Rec), who "may have been the widow of Ambrose Dart of Boston who married 'Anne Adis daughter of William Addis of Cape Ann 24th- 4th month 1653." "Ann Brewster Departed this life - the wife of Benjamin Brewster May the 9 1709." " The above Named Benjamin Brewster Died in Norwich ye 14th of Sept: 1710 & was Buried on Brewster Plain."
"Benjamin Brewster settled upon the homstead of his father at Brewster's Neck, which he acquired from his father and brother- in-law, John Picket. This farm was originally in the town of New London, but by the alteration of boundaries and the formation of new towns was afterwards successively included in the towns of Norwich, Preston, Groton, and Ledyard. He was a man of promi-nence, serving as deputy to the General Court of the Colony of Connecticut, 1668, '89, '90, '92, '93, '94, 95, '96, '97, lieutenant
of the New London Troop, 1673, and captain of the military company of Norwich, 1693.
" The Brewster Book . . . undoubtedly had been in his custody from the death of his father to his own decease . . . and his son Daniel, . . . it is supposed, succeeded him as custodian of the Book."- N. E. Reg., liii. 283-4. (The Brewster Genealogy, p.37) 
Brewster, Capt. Benjamin (I1276)
74 Benjamin had 2 children by Deliverance; Deliverance and Benjamin. He had 4 children by Rachel; Sarah, Josiah, Susanna and Sarah. Shattuck, Benjamin (I3527)
75 Benjamin Hamlin was a mariner engaged in whale fishing; was instantly killed while engaged in assisting in the capture of a whale early in July, 1737, and Sept. 7, 1738, his widow married William Graham of Boston. Hamblin, Benjamin (I2358)
76 Born by about 1591, based on estimated date of marriage. Shipwright who came to Massachusetts Bay in 1629 & settled in Salem. Moved to Charlestown in 1630; returned to Salem in 1636. Died in Salem between 20 February 1654/5 (date of will) and 26 June 1655 (probate of will). Married by about 1616 Alice _____ (assuming she was the mother of his children). "Alice Molton" joined the church at Charlestown 27 December 1632. She evidently predeceased her husband. His will contained bequests to "Goodwife Buffam" & "Joshua Buffam." These were the wife & son of ROBERT BUFFAM (1638, Salem), who was from Great Yarmouth, Norfolk & supports the argument that Robert Moulton was related to the Moultons of Ormsby, Norfolk. - Source: Anderson's Winthrop Fleet. Moulton, Robert (I2054)
77 Both Mathew and Sarah were deaf as a result of sickness. The had 9 children; Mathew, Susanna, William, Mary, Dorothy, Samuel, Sarah, Ann, and Hannah. Pratt, Mathew (I3598)
78 Calvin and Betsey had 8 children; a daughter, Elizabeth, Calvin Sprague, Emily Caroline, Lucius Allis, William Porter, Porter Sprague, Frederick Reynolds, and William. Shattuck, Calvin (I2298)
79 Canada. "Census of Canada, 1881." Statistics Canada Fonds, Record Group 31-C-1. LAC microfilm C-13162 to C-13286. Library and Archives Canada, Ottawa. <a href=" .aspx" target="_blank"> Pages/about-census.aspxl</a>. Source (S548)
80 Canterberry or Canterbury or Cantlebury, Cornelius, came to Hingham as early as 1639 and lived first on Town (North) St., within a short distance of what is now Thaxter's Bridge. May 3, 1649, he sold his dw.-house, with two acres of land adjoining to Samuel Lincoln "mariner," "bounded south with the swamp; & the highway on the north, east, & west," etc. Was by occupation a "cooper; " constable in 1672; and late in life resided in the middle ward. The Chris. name of his w. was Anna. She outlived him, and d. 20 Dec. 1710. He d. 21 Oct. 1683. Canterbury, Cornelius (I4459)
81 Capt. Samuel Sherburne (1638-1691) was born at Little Harbor, now Rye, New Hampshire. He inherited land from both his father and his Grandfather Gibbons. He was granted a ferry privilege in 1670 and was active in community and political affairs. He married Love Hutchins, daughter of John Hutchins and Frances Alcock. He and Love had eleven children. In 1691, during King Philip´s War (a war with the Indians), he was with the military force sent into Maine. He was killed ``by the Heathen´´ at Casco Bay. His twelfth child was born after he died and, according to the laws of the time, did not inherit. -
Capt. Samuel Sherburne, of Little Harbor, Portsmouth and Hampton, N. H., was heir of his grandfather Ambrose Gibbons. The town of Portsmouth granted him 60 acres and ferry privilege, in 1670. His father deeded him dwelling and large tract of land at Little Harbor, in 1674. (Rockingham Co. Deeds, vol. 3, p. 94.) He removed from Little Harbor to Hampton in 1675. (Dow's Hist, of Hampton.) In 1678 he bought the Inn at Hampton from his uncle John Sherburne of the Plains, Portsmouth, adm'r of the estate of Robert Tucke, Esq. He was selectman of Hampton, 1683 and 1688; and in 1689 was one of the delegates to form some method of government for the four towns, Hampton, Dover, Exeter and Portsmouth, He strongly opposed Gov. Cranfield, and signed Weare's petition, 1682-3. In July, 1691, a strong military force was sent into Maine against the Indians, under fonr Captains of which he was one. He was killed at the head of his command "by the Heathen," Aug. 4, 1691, at Maquoit, Casco Bay, Me. He married, Dec. 15, 1668, Love, daughter of John and Frances Hutchins of Haverhill, Mass., who was born July 16, 1647, and died at Kingston, N. H., Feb., 1739, aged 92. - Some Descendants of Henry and John Sherburne of Portsmouth, N.H., 1904 
Sherburne, Capt. Samuel (I3776)
82 Capt. Solamon's Will, made Mar. 9, 1785, Prob. Apr. 11, 1785, (?) Signed by Solomon and Elizabeth Shumway, as children,. Dolly, a daughter, to have furniture, etc., after self and wife. Sons mentioned, Solomon, (Col.) Jonathan, Elisha and David. - The Holmans in America Holman, Solomon (I411)
83 Catherine was noted as single on death record. McPherson, Catherine (I2637)
84 Compilation of Dawson and Martin family bibles copied in handwriting by Thomas Bishop Martin including vital stats, notes and obituaries. It was a gift to his mother Ann (Dawson) Martin. Source (S26)
85 Daniel and Huldah had 6 children; Harvey, William, Daniel, Chloe, Sally, and Betsey. Pratt, Daniel Lincoln (I3589)
86 Daniel Wolford aged 80 years died at his home north of La Harpe on Dec. 16th. He was buried at the Bryan (Butler) Farm. He was an old settler of this locality. - obituary from unknown newspaper clipping Wolford, Daniel (I2907)
87 Data compiled by Historical Data Systems of Kingston, MA form the <a href="/handler/domainrd.ashx?domain=SearchDomain&url=/search/ dbextra.aspx&dbid=3737">following list of works</a>. Copyright 1997-2000<br> Historical Data Systems, Inc.<br> PO Box 35<br> Duxbury. Source (S511)
88 Data compiled by Historical Data Systems of Kingston, MA from the <a href="/handler/domainrd.ashx?domain=AncestryDomain&url=/searc h/rectype/military/cwrd/db.aspx">following list of works</a>.<p>Copyright 1997-2009<br>Historical Data Systems, Inc.<br> PO Box 35<br>Duxbury, MA 02331.</p> Source (S521)
89 Data compiled by Historical Data Systems of Kingston, MA from the <a href="/handler/domainrd.ashx?domain=AncestryDomain&url=/searc h/rectype/military/cwrd/db.htm">following list of works</a>. Copyright 1997-2000<br> Historical Data Systems, Inc.<br> PO Box 35<br> Duxbury, MA 023. Source (S563)
90 David moved to Grimsby Ontario 1802, staying until granted a land petition: Land Petition #8/27 David Kenney of Grimsby 24 Nov 1807 his Excellency, Francis Gore, Esquire, Lt. Gov. of Upper Canada ... that your petitioner came into this province six years ago from the Jersies and has a family consisting of a wife and nine children of which 6 are sons, that he has property of the amount of 500 pounds in province currency, has taken the oath of allegiance and is desirous to occupy and improve a lot of Crown land of 200 acres... The land petition was granted in Council 25 November 1807 (RG 1, L3, volume279, K3/27, 4 pages)
It is believed that David Kenney was a brother to Peter who came to Grimsby at about the same time. Peter Kenney: b. 1766-1774 in New Jersey, d. Aft. 1822 m. December 13, 1795 to Jane McCowen b. 1771-1774 in Maryland. They had 13 children.
It is all but certain David and his brother Peter were descendants of Adrian Pieterse Kinne who emmigrated from the Netherlands in 1660 and resided in Flatbush, Kings, NY and later in New Jersey. Ongoing DNA testing of descendants of both men have resulted in placement in the "Dutch Line" of Kenneys tracing back to Adrian Pieterse Kinne. The exact lineage however is not proven at this time. 
Kenney, David (I2877)
91 Davis' History of Bucks County (Pennsylvania) has an excellent biography of the Van Horn family. It states that their (and our) pioneer ancestor was Christian Barendtse -- i.e., Christian, son of Barendt. It was said that he came to New Amsterdam (now New York City), apparently by 1653, from Hooren, a city of the Zuyder Zee, about 25 miles from Amsterdam -- hence, "Van Hooren" or "Van Horn," meaning "of" or "from" that city.
Christian was a carpenter by trade, serving also as a referee when there was litigation about property disputes. He also owned several properties in the vicinity of Broadway and Wall Streets, some now occupied by part of the present Trinity churchyard. (The author visited this churchyard during a business trip to New York City in April of 1995.)
Christian was part of a force sent out from New Amsterdam on September 5, 1655, against the Swedes and Finns at Fort Christina on the Delaware River. He then got a land grant near present day Wilmington, Delaware, where he began work on a tidewater mill in 1656. He died there on July 26, 1658, during an epidemic apparently caused by germs stirred up by the construction. After he was buried, his widow and children returned to New Amsterdam, where she sold the Delaware property and remarried soon after to our other ancestor, Laurens Andriessen Van Boskerck. 
Van Hoorn, Christian Barentsen (I46)
92 Described as a vagrant, "distempered in his mind." Ephraim is not mentioned in his father's will and may have predeceased him. Gale, Ephraim (I1057)
93 Died at Lexington, KY., Co. I .,4th Regt., O.V.I. Gunn, Alfred O. (I2001)
94 Died during Battle at Lexington,KY. as member of Co.I, 14th Ohio Volunteer Infantry (GAR) Gunn, Leonard H. (I2002)
95 Dodd, Jordan, Liahona Research, comp. <i>Illinois Marriages, 1790-1860</i>. With some noted exceptions all marriage records in this collection can be found at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah, or available through Family History Centers throughout the United States. For specific source information listed by county see the extended description above or the see the source information listed for each entry. Source (S514)
96 Dodd, Jordan, Liahona Research, comp. <i>Massachusetts, Marriages, 1633-1850</i>. With some noted exceptions all marriage records in this collection can be found at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah, and may be available through Family History Centers throughout the United States. See table below for information listed. Source (S537)
97 Dodd, Jordan, Liahona Research, comp.. <i>Maryland Marriages, 1655-1850</i>. Most of the records in this index may be found at the Maryland Historical Society or the Family History Library. More specific source information is listed with each entry. Original marriage licenses should be located at the county clerk's office. Source (S565)
98 Dr. Phlip Shattuck, s. of William, was b. in Watertown and d. within the present limits of Waltham, June 26, 1722 ae. 73. His place of residence was in the vicinity of the Waverley Station on the Fitchburg Railroad, easterly of Beaver Brook/ and his estate extended northerly into Cambridge. He was a physician of eminence, and for a long period a leading man in the public affairs of the town. He was often chosen moderator of town meetings, and held the offices of assessor, town treasurer, chairman of the selectmen, and very many other important stations of public trust and responsibility. The gravestone erected to his memory was standing in the Waltham burying-ground, in 1852, bearing the following inscription:--"Here Lyes Buried y Body of Doct Philip Shattuck who dece June 6 26th, 1722, in y 74th year of his Age. Blessed are the Dead that Die in the Lord." A new marble tablet has recently been erected, to which the inscription was transferred, with the following appended: "The above record was transferred from a moss-grown crumbling head-stone of slate, to one of more enduring marble, by a descendant of the 5th Generation, A.D. 1853." - Memorials of the Descendants of William Shattuck, by Lemuel Shattuck (1855)
His will, dated Jan. 29th and proved Aug. 30th, 1722, is recorded in the Middlesex Records, Vol. XVI, p. 436. He had two sons by the name of Philip living at the same time, one by each wife; and they were distinguished from each other in his will, as "Philip Shattuck of Saybrook," and "Philip Shattuck, the younger," or as "the youngest son of my present beloved wife." Accounts of two living children of the same name in one family sometimes occur in the early history of this country and in England, but his is the only instance that we have discovered in our family. - Memorials of the Descendants of William Shattuck, by Lemuel Shattuck (1855) 
Shattuck, Dr. Philip (I3552)
99 Dr. Samuel Caswell appears to have been the first resident physician within the ancient limits of Norton. He is supposed to have been the son of John Caswell (see early settlers); and was born Oct. 6, 1695. The first notice we have of him on our records is Oct. 17, 1726, when the town "voted to Pay to Doctr. Saml. Caswell, for doctering Goode Merry, - 15 - 0." He, however, bought land in Norton, in 1723, of Lydia Briggs, daughter of Samuel Briggs, deceased; and was then called a "Practitioner of Physick." Probably about that time, he established himself here as a physician and farmer. He lived where Benjamin Sweet now (1858) lives; and his house stood three rods over the line, within the present limits of Mansfield. He married, Feb. 5, 1727-8, Ursula White, daughter of Deacon Nicholas White; and had four children. He remained here till about the year 1747, when he died. He is believed to have had a wife, and a son Samuel, previous to his marriage with Ursula White. - A history of the town of Norton, Bristol County, Massachusetts: from 1669 to 1859
Dr. Samuel Caswell resided in the North Precinct of Norton; he was a physician. He died about 1747; was representative to
the General Court 1745-1746; was also called Captain. He married 1st, Judith, daughter of Samuel Pratt, of Taunton. April 10,
1734, he was appointed guardian for his son, Samuel Caswell, Jr., a minor above the age of 14 years, grandson of Samuel Pratt, late of Taunton, deceased. He married 2nd, Feb. 5, 1727-8, Ursula, daughter of Nicholas and Experience (King) White. - "The Nicholas White Family 1643-1900" 
Caswell, Dr. Samuel (I337)
100 Dr.Samuel B. Martin, the oldest physician in Baltimore, died yesterday at his residence, number 133 East Pratt Street in the 91st year of his age. Dr. Martin had lived and practiced his profession for many years in the house where he died and but few residents of East Baltimore were better known or stood higher in public esteem. He was the surgeon of the Baltimore Association of Old Defenders and served with distinction at the battle of North Point. Dr. Martin was regular in his attendance at the annual gathering of the Old Defenders on the 12th of September until the infirmities of age prevented. He had been confined to his house for some time past. Dr. Martin was of the old school of Baltimore physicians, and was a successful practitioner before many now well known medical gentlemen were students.- The Baltimore Sun, Wednesday, December 22, 1875
Dr. Samuel Blair Martin studied medicine under Dr. James Smith of Baltimore; attended the University of Pennsylvania, 1806 or 1807; Surgeon, Packet Ship "Rebecca" and taken prisoner by the British; Surgeon, First Rifle Battalion of the Maryland Militia, 1814; captured at the Battle of Bladensburg; being released, took part in the Battle of North Point; M.D., (Honorary), University of Maryland, 1838; Orator, Medical and Chirurgical Faculty, 1851; Helath Officer, Baltimore; Surgeon to "Old Defenders." Died at Baltimore, December 21, 1875.
- Medical Annals of Maryland: Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland, Eugene F. Cordells, 1903. 
Martin, Dr. Samuel Blair (I208)

      «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27» Next»